We Are Blood
We Are Blood (Austin, Texas) has been drawing Central Texans together since 1951. As the exclusive community blood supplier, we serve over 40 hospitals and medical facilities in a 10-county area. Our mission is to provide and protect the community blood supply, to inspire Central Texans to save lives locally, and to always treat everyone we serve as family. When you work here, you’re a vital part of helping to ensure that all Central Texans have access to life-saving blood when they need it! This individual will determine donor eligibility, perform phlebotomy techniques, and manage adverse donor reactions at fixed site.
- Report to work according to department schedule and comply with organizational timekeeping policy.
- Maintain the donation site and equipment according to SOP: Assembly, daily quality control procedures, routine/preventative maintenance, housekeeping procedures and disassembly.
- Process and accurately document allogeneic whole blood donations according to SOP: registration, medical history interviews and vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, hematocrit, and temperature), phlebotomy.
- Respond to donor reactions according to SOP: Identify/treat symptoms, monitor/perform vital signs (pulse and blood pressure) and accurately document the reaction.
- Review electronic/hard copy documentation, as appropriate, according to SOP.
- Execute special projects and other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Operations Manager.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Effective communication skills
- Compassionate interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Basic computer skills
- Punctual and dependable
- Experience in phlebotomy and/or taking vital signs is preferred; certification as a phlebotomist, medical assistant, EMT, paramedic or LVN is a plus
- Ability to interpret and respond appropriately to sensitive/confidential information and situations
- Ability to maintain focus and make sound judgments in a busy/distracting environment
- Ability to perform the same task repeatedly while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Ability to read/follow SOPs and to maintain complete/accurate records
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including Saturday and/or Sunday
- Good manual dexterity
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds unassisted
- Ability to stand for long periods
EEO Employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Local Applicants Only